Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Blind Man on the Road

     Hello world, this is Angry Tofu speaking. Today my dad and I were driving down a busy road when suddenly my dad saw something that made him pull an illegal turn across two lanes and come back around to where we had just been. I asked him what was going on. He said, "It's a blind guy. He's in orange, and he's just walking down the road!" At first I thought he was saying that the blind man was driving, and I was ready to jump out of the car and run for my life. However, as we turned the corner I saw that the man was indeed walking down the road. And when I say walking down the road, I mean down the road. Not on the sidewalk, but over to the side of the rightmost lane, on a street where the speed limit is between 30 and 40 miles per hour.
     My dad parked the car and ran across the street to talk to the man. I could hear his southern accent through the open window, as he explained that this was the only way he knew to get to his destination. That's completely understandable, seeing as if you were blind you wouldn't be able to orient yourself from just anywhere, and would have to memorize very specific routes to get to places. I couldn't help but wonder why he didn't get a better route. Why didn't someone give him an option that wasn't a death trap? Crazy people!
     Anyway, as my dad stood there in the middle of the road trying to help the man out, another woman pulled up and parked her car in the turn lane. She got out and said she had phoned for help. By that point there were cars backed up all the way up the street. Within about three minutes there were two police cars that pulled up and parked in the middle of the road, and the man was surrounded by my dad, the woman, and two police officers. They finally got him over to the side of the street with a sidewalk, and tried to figure out what was going on. The man didn't seem to understand exactly how close to death he had just been. He was still trying to get them to let him go back to his original route.
     Dayum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment