Saturday, September 29, 2012

Favorite Singers

     Hello world, this is Angry Tofu speaking. Since y'all have stubbornly refused to reveal how you found my blog, I will continue posting in my merry way. Today's subject: my favorite singers. I have two. Both of them happen to be relatively unknown unless you are really into this type of music (although what the genre is I'm not sure...singer-songwriter?), but if you are familiar with either of them, then indeed we are kindred spirits.

1. Patty Griffin

     I am only starting with Ms. Griffin because I have been listening to her music for longer. Now that I think about it, she has been one of my top musicians for seven years, since my stepmom introduced me to her music in second grade.
      Right off the bat, you should know that her music is sad. Gloomy, heartbreaking, hope-smashing-into-a-million-pieces kind of sad. I can only listen to her songs on certain days, or else they will plunge me into a deep dark hole from which I cannot return. However, when the time is right there is nothing like Patty Griffin.

Starter song: Every Little Bit

What it's about:
     Patty is basically smacking her loser boyfriend in the face, telling him that the whole time they were together he didn't know a thing about her. Very revenge-y, and less sad than a lot of her songs. It's from her first album, "Living with Ghosts", which I think is one of the most amazing albums ever.



1. Rufus Wainwright

     Rufus is a lot more famous than Patty Griffin, and I wouldn't be surprised to have a quite of people familiar with his music. His most mainstream song is probably his cover of "Hallelujah", which is quite popular. However, "Hallelujah" could not be less representative of his music. Being a Canadian-American gay man and a recovering drug addict, his songs are very often sweet to the ear but just the slightest bit angry, if you listen to the lyrics. A lot of his songs are a commentary on the experiences of homosexual people in the United States and Canada.

Starter song: Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk

What it's about:
     It's about all the little addictions and vices in life, and how sweet they can be. I chose this song because...well, there is just no other song to start with. Of all the Rufus Wainwright songs, this one should come first. That's just the way it is.




   
So there you go, here are my favorite singers. I hope you enjoy them, and if you don't then go listen to dubstep or something. People seem to like that.

P.S. If you like Rufus, be sure to listen to his musical renditions of Shakespeare's sonnets--I have never heard anything more beautiful :)

1 comment:

  1. I really like Patty. My favorite of her songs is up on the mountain (MLK song) Actually heard Kelly Clarkson and Reba McIntyre do an acoustic version of it and they talked about how much they loved her. Checked it out and agreed. In fact, it is on my afterlife afterparty play list. It is not morbid. I just do not want other people picking my music.

    ReplyDelete